Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Way Back When-esday - Molly's Homecoming

Linking up with Twinfatuation Way Back When-esday. Thanks Cheryl for letting me play along!

Miss Priss came home on 4/22/08 after 68 long days in the NICU. You can read little more of her NICU story here. Molly pretty much was my trouble maker between the two. She gave me the most scares even up to the very last week before her release. The doctors first told me Luke and Molly would be going home together, but Molly decided differently. She wanted her Mommy to have one last scare! The very same day that we were told the good news the daytime nurse saw blood in Molly's poo. This called for immediate action. They took x-rays & blood to run tests. They even collected a sample of her poo to run cultures. Their main concern was NEC. Come to find out it was just an infection that could be treated with an antibiotic, regardless this granted sister another week in the NICU.

Of course I had to share a picture of me cuddling her at home like Luke's pic last week.

Awww...A Daddy snuggle with both her first night.

In her own bed for the first time!

This was taken the next morning after a night of tears from Mommy! I will never forget that first night with both! I even made Todd call the NICU that night. Molly's oxygen needs kept needing to be turned up. I was beside myself thinking they released her too early. Amanda talked to Todd and said a lot of babies do that when they leave the hospital until they become accustomed to their new surroundings. Sure enough...her oxygen started going back down the next day. I won't lie and say from that point on it was all roses because it wasn't. I call Molly Miss Priss for a reason. She was very high maintenance & still is! :) Very sensitive to everything.

My turn to double cuddle! I needed this bliss after the night before! Once again you can see that crazy look on my face.

Best Friends for life!!

Than the fun times began!


debi9kids said...

OMGosh! Such precious teeny tiny babies :)

LOVE hearing your story. Very sweet.

Cheryl Lage said...

You look BLISSFUL! They were so teensy...doesn't it seem so long ago and just yesterday at the same time?

Thank you so much for playing along with Way Back When-esday, Andrea!

Beth said...

my second (Izzie) came home just one day after my first (Julia) and the difference from one newborn to two brought me to tears. Our first night with Julia was a breeze, Julia and Izzie? All three of us were up all night!

Looking at your gorgeous healthy three year olds, it is hard to imagine them starting life so fragile.

Holly Ann said...

Those are some really sweet pics of your babes. :)

championm2000 said...

Oh, Molly was sooo tiny in that car seat!

I love the double cuddle pictures--the ones where you could still hold them both so easily.

OurLifeUnrehearsed said...

They were sooo tiny. I couldn't imagine bringing Kai home that little. Love the pictures of you holding them both. Precious!

Amy said...

Your posts always make me tear up! Such beautiful pictures. I swear I have PTSD from just 21 days in the NICU. I can't imagine a stay of 68 days and my babies come home on no oxygen and i was a crazy person. I have to say my son moved right along like he should until the night before his discharge when he had a heart rate episode that kept him there over teh weekend. The only good thing was that he stayed until his sister came home. My daughter on the other hand was intubated for 6 days, then pulled her breathing tube out, then with in a few days pulled her feeding tube out. She's a fiesty one and still is!

MultipleMum said...

You are so lucky to have such gorgeous, healthy kids. It was certainly a rough start for Molly but she is obviously very strong to have survived and flourished and brought you so much joy! You look pretty stare-y in those pics - overwhelmed? xx

Jenner said...

Gosh, they were so itty-bitty! Everyone said that the peapod was small but she was just shy of 7lbs! This is beautiful.

Rebecca @ Unexplained X2 said...

Can't believe you guys went through all of glad they are who they are (and you guys who you are...they couldn't have done it without you after all)!!!

MandyE (Twin Trials and Triumphs) said...

I can only imagine how scared you must have been that first night with Molly's O2 levels. We called the NICU several times during the girls' first couple of weeks, but - at least in hindsight - it was over some pretty trivial things. :) It was so comforting to know they were there, though!

How special (although overwhelming, I know) it must have been to FINALLY have both your babies home.

It's so neat to me to look at those very early pictures of your two and be able to see how much they look like themselves. It's hard for me sometimes to see that with our babies, but maybe it's easier with someone else's children. I can see the Molly and Luke of today as clear as day! :)

Dolli-Mama said...

So fabulous! I love it!

reanbean said...

I can only imagine the nervousness of having two NICU premies home after spending so much time at the hospital. I was a wreck our first few days home, convinced that I knew nothing about how to take care of my own babies and we didn't have all those premie and oxygen issues to think about. I'm sure you did a wonderful job. Just look at them now!